I’ve been pretty busy lately so I’ve been looking for quick delicious meals that I can make in under half and hour. A favourite at the moment due to the cold weather is a simple seafood laksa recipe I have honed. This doesn’t take long to prepare and doesn’t take long to cook and its delicious.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Serves: 4 Adults
- 1 jar of laksa paste (I use a Valcom Paste Laksa 230g jar)
- 1 Can of coconut milk (lite or full up to you)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 packet of rice vermicelli (usually 6 individual balls of vermicelli in the pack)
- 400 grams seafood mix (john west prepackage is decent and well priced)
- 100 grams mushrooms
- 1 carrot (decent sized)
- 1 red or green capsicum
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk with plenty of leaves of coriander for garnish
- 2 tablespoons of crushed peanuts
- Prepare the rice vermicelli by placing the required amount (4 balls) into a mixing bowl and adding warm water and let it sit till ready for serving then drain (15 mins or so)
- quarter the mushrooms
- slice the bok choy into decent sized pieces
- slice the capsicum into pieces about the size of an Australian 10 cent piece
- julienne the carrot
- Heat the oil in a wok until its hot
- Add the laksa paste and cook until it is fragrant
- Add the harder vegetables first and fry for about a minute
- Add the can of coconut milk and the water
- Add the seafood mix and mushrooms
- Bring to the boil stirring occasionally, check to ensure the seafood is cooked. (You know when the fish starts to flake)
- 30 seconds before removing it from the heat stir the bok choy through
- Let it sit for a few minutes
Place the vermicelli in the bottom of each deep bowl and then spoon the laksa into the bowls. Place a couple of the coriander leaves on top and a sprinkle of the crushed peanuts (if you want).
- If you want to make it hotter you can add chilli paste or fresh chilli to your desired heat level.
- You can switch the seafood out for chicken of tofu. I’ve done the tofu option many times but I assume the chicken one should work.
- You can also add more vegetables if you like or remove the meat all together, its all up to what you like.
I don’t have a photo of this just yet, but next time I make it, I’ll make sure it features on my instagr.am.